Thursday, March 17, 2011

Parting shots from Hawaii

Open-air lobby of the check-in area at the condo:





Open-air terminal at the airport:








Our first ride home:


Hawaii from the air:








I forgot to take a picture of it on our way over, got it this time on our way home. This is O'Hare's airplane from WW II:



We are home now, jet lagged, but very content from our trip. Kids report their favorite parts of the trip were the Rainforest Zoo in Hilo, snorkeling, and the whale watching trip. My favorites (and I think Bill's, too) were driving across such varied landscapes - arid lava beds, coastal cliffs, rolling grasslands, dense rainforests - and walking along the southernmost point of the US, the Pololu Valley Overlook, Volcanoes National Park, and the waterfalls around Hilo. It was fun to try to learn to say the Hawaiian words correctly and to learn about Hawaiian culture and heritage - the traditional hula and chant at VNP was a real treat. And, like the kids, we were both amazed at the turtles and the variety of fish we saw when we snorkeled.

I certainly hope the kids remember this trip for the rest of their lives. I know I will!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Condo, Kona Airport, flights home

No comments:

Post a Comment